This event is fully booked
The Learning Event International Social Security is designed for HR Global Mobility (coordinators, advisors) and HR Comp&Ben Professionals, as well as corporate colleagues from Compliance, Legal, Tax, Finance and Payroll. The event is also of interest to entrepreneurs and self-employed persons who have to deal with the implications of cross-border work themselves. We also accommodate consultants and service providers. However, due to capacity constraints corporate delegates enjoy priority access.
We have optimized this event for all types of organizations, roles and functions by applying a knowledge based classification that distincts beginner/ intermediate level and advanced level:
- Beginner = less than 3 years relevant work experience
- Intermediate = between 3 and 5 year relevant work experience
- Advanced = more than 5 years relevant work experience.
It may be helpful to describe who would best be served by attending this Learning Event by summing up some challenges we´ll address:
WHAT CHALLENGES ARE WE ADDRESSING IN THIS LEARNING EVENT ?
Social Security in international relations is an important concern. Not only are the issues far more complex than in a national context but the effects of an incorrect assessment can be considerable.
To give you an idea of 21st century challenges and impediments we'll be addressing during the Learning Event, here are some questions from Expatise members sent to the experts of the Expatise Helpdesk:
- When to use MSW or PW applications for A1’s ?
- As we often have assignments shorter than 12 months, should we in those instances take the travel pattern for a 12 month period into account to determine whether to apply for a MSW or PW A1 application? Or should we take into account the travel pattern during the assignment period only?
- How to go about third-country nationals who are in Europe whilst remaining on their home country social security ?
- How to go about an employee who resides in a EU member state but works outside the territory of the member states for an employer who is located in one of the member states ?
- What consequences does an assignment have for the social security status of family members ?
- What is meant by temporary residence and habitual residence and why is this distinction so important ?
- What if at the beginning of the posting it is already clear that the assignment will last for more than 24 months ?
- And what if at the beginning of the posting the duration of the assignment is not (!) clear ?
- How to calculate the 5% and 25% criterions that apply when the assignee is working in more than one country ?
- What to do when maximum social security contributions need to be paid in more than one country ?
- Under which circumstances can social insurances premiums/ contributions be taxed and how to determine in which country ?
How to gross up these amounts and ensure the net wage is calculated correctly ?
- Does a split payroll entail multiple formal employers and thus double social security obligations ?
- If it is uncertain whether the partner of the employee shall be working in the country of employment, can I request a CoC for him/her in order to prevent this partner from being uninsured ?
- When I looked it up for a particular assignment I found a Social Security Treaty being in place between the home country and host country, but then my advisor told me it isn't a Totalisation agreement. But what is the difference ?
- What's the difference between a posted worker, commuter, contractor, multiple state worker, freelancer ?
- What if the assignee is working simultaneously for multiple employers ?
- What if the assignee is working in the capacity of employee and at the same time as freelancer, contractor, civil servant ?
- When the Treaty contains a Medical Expense clause is registration in the country of residence mandatory ?
- When the assignee is living in a Treaty country and the Treaty doesn't contain a Medical Expense claus, does this mean that medical expenses aren't covered ?
- Why is it important to know whether or not family members are financially indepedent from the assignee ?
- What is the Affordable Care Act and what does it mean for international assignments ?
- What to expect of health care in the Middle East area and which precautions should the employer and employee take ?
- etc. etc.